Thursday, February 08, 2018

Porcupine Meatballs, An Old Favorite

No actual porcupines are harmed in the making of these meatballs.  The name refers to the grains of rice that stick out from the cooked meatballs!  These were a special comfort food from my kidhood, something Grammy used to make in her big, scary, rattly pressure cooker.

Last weekend I went looking for a recipe that seemed like what I'd seen my grandmother do.  I found one, made a couple of tweaks (more rice, and turkey instead of beef, Trader Joe's tomato soup instead of Campbell's), and they came out fabulous. In the picture, there's no sauce, since I made a double recipe yet didn't double the liquid-- oops. Brought them to a friend's party, and they were less messy that way!




But do make a single recipe and enjoy the wonderful tomato sauce. We used to eat these over mashed potatoes when I was a kid. I was always scared of the pressure cooker when Grammy made them. So happy I can make them now with my multicooker!

Porcupine Meatballs

Adapted from TheSpruce's recipe


  • 1 pound ground turkey
  • 2/3 cup uncooked long grain rice
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 tablespoons dried shallots
  • 1 box Trader Joes creamy tomato soup


In a large bowl, combine the meat, rice, salt, pepper, and shallots. Shape into small balls about an inch in diameter.

Heat the tomato soup by using the saute function.

Gently drop the meat balls into the soup mixture. Close the pressure cooker cover securely, then bring up to high pressure and cook for 15 minutes.

Let pressure drop of its own accord (natural pressure release). Test with a meat thermometer to make sure that the meat is 160°F. If not, cook for another 3 to 4 minutes after bringing the pressure cooker up to high pressure. Serve over mashed potatoes!

No comments: