Tonight's adventure was synthesizing an old-fashioned chicken stew from the various fancy fusion chicken stew recipes I found for Instant Pot. I couldn't find anything that was quite what I wanted, so I made my own! It probably took about 30 minutes from start to finish, with 10 minutes of that under pressure. I chopped my veggies while the chicken was browning, so that cut down on the time.
Strata's 10 Minute Chicken Stew
Saute together, until chicken is browned on one or both sides; sprinkle flour on after first side of chicken is browned.
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 1 - 1.5 pounds boneless chicken thighs, cut into roughly 1-inch cubes
- 10 large leaves fresh sage
- 1.5 tsp fresh thyme, or 1 tsp dried thyme
- ¼ cup white flour
Pour in liquid below and stir well to deglaze pan:
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup water
Add to cooker, diced into 1-inch cubes:
- 2 medium parsnips
- 1 large carrot
- 3 small or 2 medium yukon gold potatoes
- 1 stalk celery
- 4 giant white mushrooms (2 - 3 inches across)
Sprinkle into cooker:
- 1 TBSP freeze dried shallots (or use 1 finely diced fresh shallot in the saute step)
- ½ tsp freeze dried minced garlic (or use 2 cloves finely diced in the saute step)
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
Seal and cook on HIGH for 10 minutes. Allow to depressurize naturally. Enjoy!